WHAT IS IT?
Light Paint Live is a webcam program that lets you paint with light!
This program is great for amateur and professional light-painters alike. Amateurs can use it to experiment with light painting without having to buy an expensive camera, and pros can use it as a heads-up display for their DSLR camera. It shows the picture developing in real-time!
Many people are unfamiliar with light painting, but it’s been around since the early 1900’s! Read more about the history at LightPaintingPhotography.com
For a more verbose description, see Joerg Miedza's post about realtime light-art.
Full-feature desktop version!
1. MAIN CONTROLSStart / stop button will start or stop capturing a painting. Key-control: SPACEBAR.
Light-sensitivity slider controls amount of light captured per frame - similar to ISO. Key-control: UP / DOWN ARROWS.
2. EDIT CONTROLSUndo / redo buttons will do just that. Key-controls: CTRL+Z, CTRL+Y.
New button makes a new painting. Key-control: CTRL+N.
Save button will save an image or video to the users desktop. Key-control: CTRL+S.
3. SCREEN CONTROLSFullscreen button makes application go into fullscreen mode.
Toggle preview button turns live preview on or off. Key-control: ENTER.
4. PAINTING OPTIONSCountdown activates a slider that controls how long to delay capture after the start button is pressed.
Video underlayer checkbox enables a live video preview underneath the light canvas.
Light range checkbox activates sliders that control the range of light that is captured.
Limit brightness checkbox prevents painting from exceeding natural light values. Also has a slider for increasing the threshold.
Fade checkbox activates a slider that controls how fast the painting fades away.
Color shift activates sliders that shift the red, green, and blue color channels.
5. WEBCAM OPTIONSCamera selector lets user pick which webcam to use.
Capture size selector determines the dimensions of the image.
Target frame-rate slider determines the maximum rate of capture.
6. RECORDING OPTIONSCapture video checkbox enables user to save a video of the performance. Recommended for low-resolution only.
Save full res video checkbox records videos at full size. Recommended for low-resolution only.
Write video to disk checkbox writes the video to the disk as it’s being captured. Minimzes memory usage during recording.
7. VIEW OPTIONSDim controls checkbox dims the controls during painting.
To improve LPL’s performance, you can do a couple of things.
1. Close any other open programs.
2. Use a lower resolution capture size. Less pixels means more speed!
3. Buy a processor with a lot of cores.
LPL uses Pixel Bender to process incoming frames. Pixel Bender splits the workload evenly between all available processor cores. The more cores your processor has, the smoother the painting will be!
Macam - Various webcam drivers for Mac.